South Jersey Federal Crime Defense Attorney
Although most criminal law occurs at the state level, there are crimes that can fall under the Federal Government’s jurisdiction. These types of crimes tend to involve criminal acts considered especially severe, crimes that can affect a wide range of people, or crimes that directly violate major federal laws or acts. Most common examples of this include serious money related crimes, drug trafficking, illegal immigration, and a variety of white collar crimes. Jill R. Cohen has a wide range of experiences defending her New Jersey clients in regards to crimes at the federal level. She has worked for decades in the NJ District Court of Camden County and the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Court of Philadelphia. Don’t wait to get the support you need. Contact Jill R. Cohen, Esq.’s office today for a free consultation.
Types of Federal Crimes New Jersey Residents of Camden, Mercer, and Gloucester County Have Faced
There are a wide range of different crimes that are considered to be at the federal level. These include but are not limited to:
- Federal Theft: Bank Robbery, Carjacking, Aircraft Hijacking, Art Theft in Museums, Grand Larceny
- Computer Crimes: Child Pornography, Unwarranted Mass-Surveillance, Copyright Infringement, Espionage, Hacking, Online Financial Theft
- Crimes Against Citizens: Identity Theft, Federal Hate Crimes, Terrorism, Illegal Wiretapping, Kidnapping, Certain Serious Crimes Against Federal Employees
- Money Crimes and Fraud: Credit Card Fraud, Mail Fraud, Tax Evasion, Election Manipulation, Embezzlement, Counterfeiting, Misappropriation or Misrepresentation of Funds, and Other White Collar Crimes, Money Laundering
- Trafficking: Drug Trafficking and Human Trafficking
- Violation of Certain Federal Acts: Espionage Act (interfering with militant operations), RICO (criminal behavior done under criminal organizations), National Firearms Act (use or possession of banned firearms), Patriot Act (involving terrorism), etc.
- Other Serious Crimes: Obscenity, Illegal Immigration, Assassination or Attempted Assassination of the President, Destroying or Damaging Public Mailboxes, Conspiracy, Crimes Committed on Federal Property
Many criminal sexual acts that are at the state level can also be classified as a federal offense under the right conditions such as serious sexual acts against children, sexual crimes on federal property, sexual crimes against federal employees, or certain aggravating factors involved such as the use of a firearm during the sexual assault.
Understanding the Dual Sovereignty Doctrine in Regards to Federal Crimes and New Jersey State Crimes
It is important to understand that a crime at the federal level can also be a crime at the state level at the same time. Under the Dual Sovereignty Doctrine, an individual can be tried for the same crime by two different jurisdictions that are involved such as two different states or being prosecuted at the civil state court level and at the federal court level. A perfect example of this would be being caught distributing a large amount of drugs in New Jersey. You could be tried for criminal drug charges at the New Jersey state level but also charged for federal drug trafficking crimes at the same time. Situations like this mean more punishments and harsher penalties for those who are convicted.
South and Central Jersey Residents Facing Federal Criminal Charges Find Quality Legal Defense with Attorney Jill Cohen
The sooner you hire a quality criminal defense attorney to take over your case, the better chances you have in court regarding your federal criminal charges. If possible, doing so during the actual federal investigation phase allows your attorney ample time to gather evidence and prepare a proper defense in a New Jersey court. Often, attorneys like Ms. Cohen can either help prove their client’s innocence or at the very least help them enter an optimal plea deal for their crimes in question. Contact the New Jersey criminal defense attorney’s office of Jill R. Cohen today for a free initial consultation regarding your federal criminal case. Jill Cohen has been serving criminal defendants throughout South Jersey in Camden, Cherry Hill, Gloucester Township, Winslow, Pennsauken, Voorhees, Lindenwold, Haddon Township, Collingswood and Haddonfield.