DUI Charges in New Jersey Carry Significant Penalties
If you are convicted of driving under the influence in New Jersey you can face up to 30 days in jail, a fine of $250-$500, a license suspension of three months to a year, and $500 in penalty charges for your first offense. Considering these possible consequences, it is important to review your situation and consider hiring an experienced DUI lawyer.
A defense lawyer with experience handling DUI cases will bring a number of valuable benefits to your case:
- They possess familiarity with the court system including experience working many of the judges and prosecutors.
- They have knowledge and understanding of plea bargain details and workings.
- They provide the ability to navigate the sometimes complex administrative procedures of a case.
Even if you plan to plead guilty to the charges brought against you, it is in your best interest to have a defense lawyer at your side. An experienced Camden County Criminal Defense Lawyer is well equipped to negotiate plea bargains (an agreement with the court to reduce the charges, thus reducing the penalties) and sentence bargains (an agreement for a prescribed penalty in exchange for a guilty plea). Moreover, a qualified DUI lawyer is experienced with the laws, penalties and fines in your state. Having an in-depth knowledge of the consequences allows them to negotiate on your behalf more effectively.
Once you have decided to hire a lawyer, there are steps to take to ensure you have the right person for your case:
- Find a defense lawyer who specializes in DUI cases. They will have the knowledge and experience you need.
- Shop around. Most lawyers provide a free initial consultation. Use this opportunity to make sure this is a person you feel comfortable handling your case.
Camden County DUI Lawyer Jill R. Cohen Has Experience Fighting DUI Charges
If you are facing prosecution for driving under the influence, Camden County Criminal Defense Lawyer, Jill R. Cohen, has over 30 years of experience fighting DUI charges. Attorney Cohen will fight to reduce or eliminate the charges or penalties against you. For a free consultation, call or contact our offices online. With offices located in Westmont, NJ, the Law Offices of Jill R. Cohen represent clients throughout New Jersey including Camden County, Gloucester County, Atlantic County, Salem County, Burlington County, Mercer County, and Cumberland County; specifically in Cherry Hill, Westmont, Haddonfield and Camden City.